Birth Doula Six Month Mentorship
Have you ever wanted to shadow a doula or see another doula work? Do you learn better by participating in the process and seeing how other people do things? Do you wish you had an experienced mentor to help you along navigate your first clients and help you set up your business?
We know that feeling! And we’ve created a mentoring program for each of your needs.
We’ve created the perfect mentoring program- designed to build on your initial training, and answer the questions you have about handling tough situations, building your business, and getting more clients.
Advanced Support Techniques
You’ll hone your skills to offer the highest quality of support to your clients. Learn to navigate difficult situations, including malpositioned babies, emotional challenges, and loss.
Take your business to the next level. Your mentoring program includes business specific classes to help you learn how to attract clients and develop relationships with providers, how to organize your back-end systems, and how to define yourself in the birth world. Private, individualized coaching sessions help you plan for the next steps, flush out ideas, and feel supported the whole way through.
Shadow Professional Doulas
Most likely, you’ve done your training, but just want to see a professional put the the theory to work. You want to see the logistical and practical pieces of being a doula, like navigating provider relationships, what to wear, how to handle fast labors or back labor. Your mentoring program gives you this opportunity!
Continuing Education Units
We all want an easy way to get our continuing education units, don’t we? Included in the mentoring package is complimentary attendance at one Evidence Based Birth Savvy Birth Pro seminar- work 3 continuing education credit. Birthingway College of Midwifery grants 12 continuing education units for the entire mentoring program.
Join our Facebook Live event on July 22nd at 1:00pm to learn more!
(We may just have a big announcement
during the FB live video!)
[The mentors] are skilled, knowledgeable, and compassionate doulas and mentors. Their skill at supporting clients to find and walk their paths in birth and parenting transfers beautifully to helping newer doulas define their goals, find their niche, and hone their skills. I left this mentorship feeling grounded in my identify as a doula, and confident in the value and skill I’m able to offer to my clients. Claire Hoffman
More About the Mentorship
August 22nd- February 2018
Kick Off Night: August 22nd
Meets: 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month through Feb. 2018
Our mentorship program is ideally suited to guide doulas in three ways:
- Advance your skills as a doula, AND
- Nurture the growth of your business
- Give you ongoing support as you grow your business
We have collected the information, tools and skills, that we wish we knew and integrated them into our mentoring program.
Open the tabs below for descriptions of what is included.
Personalized coaching sessions to discuss YOUR business and plan your next steps.
- 6 monthly classes on topics ranging from business structure to advanced doula skills
- 6 monthly Group Meetings, an opportunity to tell and hear birth stories, discuss questions, check-in on business development, build community
- Participation in group prenatals at Birthing Stone held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of each month (as schedule allows)
- Opportunity to shadow a professional doula mentor over the course of 6 -12 months, and participate in providing doula care as experience and client relationships allow.*
- Opportunity to interview for primary doula births* based on your completion of tasks and your readiness.** You may paid per birth (helps off-set the cost of the program!). (Hired primary births are NOT guaranteed.)
So How Much Will This Cost?
We’ll be the first to admit that this program is a significant financial commitment, as well as a significant time and emotional commitment. We want to welcome birth workers that are ready to put in the work of showing up to the classes, are dependable and committed to attending births, and know that this investment can move their business forward. We’ve broken the mentoring program into three tiers, to offer different levels based on your needs and ability to commit. And, we feel 100% certain that even the starter package holds the core components that will set you off to a career in which you feel confident and capable.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis in line with mentor availability. We encourage you to apply, even just to have questions answered about the process; we’re happy to guide you and help you decide if this is the right fit.
Our Favorite Things About the Mentorship Program:
You receive the invaluable benefit of watching experienced doulas in action: observe them interviewing, conducting prenatals, and actively doula-ing at births. Feel free to ask them questions, compare notes, and incorporate your observations into your own practice.
You may also have the opportunity to interview for births with our partners at Birthing Stone Doula and sit in on their group prenatal sessions to learn, learn, learn!
Is this a good fit for you?
This program is ideally suited for candidates who:
- Have completed doula training (certification not mandatory).
- Are motivated to learn and contribute — expect 5-7 hours per week for classes, client care, and homework, in addition to births.
- Are committed to choice in pregnancy and birth care. We support families planning births at home, in hospitals, with/without pharmaceutical pain management, vaginal and cesarean births, etc.
- Can provide judgement-free unconditional support. We recognize and hold space for all the pregnancy experiences that our families carry with them, including abortion, adoption, parenting, and loss.
- Can commit to an on-call lifestyle.
- Exhibit professionalism with clients and providers. We work with all the local hospitals, birth centers, and with homebirth midwives; our clients are a diverse cross-section of Portland families and include same-sex families, single-parent families, families with/without faiths, etc.
- Can commit to the scope of practice laid out by their certifying body.
- Birth experience is not required, but a bonus.
People from communities not widely represented in the Portland doula community are highly encouraged to apply!